Position: Research Associate, Delhi-Based|
Employer: Inclusion Economics India Centre at IFMR/Krea University
Location: Delhi, India
Who We Are:
Inclusion Economics India Centre is an initiative affiliated with Inclusion Economics at Yale University, founded and based out of the Yale Economic Growth Center and MacMillan Center. Inclusion Economics India Centre is based at, and accountable to, the Institute for Financial Management and Research (IFMR) Society, with strategic oversight from Krea University. Inclusion Economics India Centre collaborates with the Inclusion Economics at Yale University team to enable inclusive economies and societies through research and policy engagement.
Drawing upon economics, political science, and related fields, we conduct cutting-edge research to understand how policy can promote inclusive, accountable economies and societies. Our core research focuses on gender as it relates to labor economics and broader economic empowerment; political economy and governance; education and environmental economics. We also aim to build a culture of evidence and increase data literacy in the public sector, strengthening leaders’ ability to identify and implement evidence-informed policies. Throughout the research life cycle, we engage closely with policy counterparts to ensure we address questions of immediate relevance, and we regularly communicate data-driven insights with policy counterparts and the general public.
We are driven by values of
- Inclusive Opportunity - We study how policies can promote inclusion, and strive to practice this value by creating opportunities for individuals from all walks of life. We collaborate with, and seek to learn from, each other.
- Rigour - We take a rigorous approach to research and the entire research environment – from asking initial questions, to engaging with the right policy counterparts to create impact, to communicating final results
- Curiosity - We approach problems with open-minded curiosity and consider a wide range of approaches – which we then pursue with discipline and rigor. We innovate, drawing upon other fields and developing new approaches beyond traditional economic tools.
- Integrity - We respect each other and those we work with, uphold ethical standards, are honest, admit our mistakes, and are committed to constant improvement.
- Challenge Accepted Paradigms - Bold research and policy engagement allow us to speak to the challenges of supporting the world’s poor and vulnerable. We are willing to look through new lenses to rethink the status quo.
We are currently recruiting a Research Associate to support a portfolio of severalfield-based research projects on gender and education in Delhi, India. The ResearchAssociate will provide support and oversight for these projects from the Delhi office. It is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in a career in academic research, whether in university or a research/policy think tank.
This position requires a self-starting candidate, who enjoys working on cutting edge research that informs policy. The candidate will have a unique opportunity to drive efforts to ensure that government policy priorities inform research agenda and vice versa. The candidate will conduct in-depth interviews and scoping activities with government counterparts, manage field activities and coordinate field staff for the execution of surveys and RCTs. She/he will support high quality cleaning and rigorous analysis of both primary and secondary data. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to join a team of leading economists and public policy experts from University of Konstanz, Yale University, and Inclusion Economics India to work on cutting-edge development research and gain first-hand experience working with policy partners, implementing surveys and field experiments, and conducting rigorous data analysis.
- Oversee the day-to-day implementation of field-based research (scoping, surveying, project implementation) – including the management of field personnel, procurement, budgets, and reporting for the project
- Support research professors in ensuring all field and data activities are in compliance with IRB and field safety protocols
- Assist in the design and field-testing of survey instruments (paper and digital) and develop and implement appropriate structures and systems for a larger randomized intervention, including the procurement of supplies; development and oversight of field and quality control protocols; recruitment, training, and leading of field staff; and coordination with local partners
- Seek out and collect administrative data from policy partners and government agencies
- Conduct data cleaning, manipulation, and analysis using multiple primary and secondary data sources for several Inclusion Economics India-affiliated policy research projects
- Review and report on academic literature of requested topics in support of policy briefs and research projects
- Contribute to analysis and writing of policy briefs for various government partners and case studies on Inclusion Economics India project components
- Manage day-to-day relationships with national, state, and lower-level government officials and other potential partners (academics, policy organizations, NGOs, etc.) as requested
- Provide appropriate inputs for project management (budgets, reports, etc.) for Inclusion Economics India and for program monitoring and reporting to the management hub at Yale
- Others, as required
- Bachelor’s candidates with at least 2 years of experience with data-based research, preferably in economics or a related field
- Data collection experience is a plus
- Strong interest in public policy and economic development in low-income countries
- Excellent oral and written English and Hindi communication skills and proficiency in Stata and the Microsoft Office suite
- Mature, self-directed individual with ability to balance multiple tasks and prioritize effectively to meet deadlines in a fast-paced working environment
- Intellectually curious with a growth mindset
- Interest and ability to contribute to a dynamic research and policy team
- Demonstrate commitment to uphold Inclusion Economics’ organisational values
- Master’s degree in economics or related field and experience in Stata and preferably coding in SurveyCTO is highly desired
- Candidate should have strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to engage with policy partners of various levels
This position will be based in Delhi in India, with regular travel.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please fill out our Screening Questionnaire; you will be asked to upload a single PDF containing your CV, cover letter, and academic transcripts.
Label your file “Last name, First name – Research Associate, Delhi-Based”.
To view other open positions, visit the Inclusion Economics Opportunities page.