Position: Research Consultant
Employer: Inclusion Economics India Centre at IFMR/Krea University
Location: Delhi / Chandigarh, India
Duration: 3 months
Who We Are:
Inclusion Economics India Centre is an initiative affiliated with Inclusion Economics at Yale University, founded and based out of the Yale Economic Growth Center and MacMillan Center. Inclusion Economics India Centre is based at, and accountable to, the Institute for Financial Management and Research (IFMR) Society, with strategic oversight from Krea University. Inclusion Economics India Centre collaborates with the Inclusion Economics at Yale University team to enable inclusive economies and societies through research and policy engagement.
Drawing upon economics, political science, and related fields, we conduct cutting-edge research to understand how policy can promote inclusive, accountable economies and societies. Our core research focuses on gender as it relates to labor economics and broader economic empowerment; political economy and governance; and environmental economics. We also aim to build a culture of evidence and increase data literacy in the public sector, strengthening leaders’ ability to identify and implement evidence-informed policies. Throughout the research life cycle, we engage closely with policy counterparts to ensure we address questions of immediate relevance, and we regularly communicate data-driven insights with policy counterparts and the general public.
We are driven by values of
- Inclusive Opportunity - We study how policies can promote inclusion, and strive to practice this value by creating opportunities for individuals from all walks of life. We collaborate with, and seek to learn from, each other.
- Rigour - We take a rigorous approach to research and the entire research environment – from asking initial questions, to engaging with the right policy counterparts to create impact, to communicating final results
- Curiosity - We approach problems with open-minded curiosity and consider a wide range of approaches – which we then pursue with discipline and rigor. We innovate, drawing upon other fields and developing new approaches beyond traditional economic tools.
- Integrity - We respect each other and those we work with, uphold ethical standards, are honest, admit our mistakes, and are committed to constant improvement.
- Challenge Accepted Paradigms - Bold research and policy engagement allow us to speak to the challenges of supporting the world’s poor and vulnerable. We are willing to look through new lenses to rethink the status quo.
We are currently recruiting a Research Consultant to support a field-based research project in Punjab, India. It is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in a career in academic research, whether in university or a research/policy think tank.
This position requires a self-starting candidate, who enjoys working on cutting edge research that informs policy. The candidate will have a unique opportunity to drive efforts to ensure that government policy of priorities inform research agenda and vice versa. The candidate will set up and conduct in-depth phone interviews and scoping activities, manage field activities and coordinate field staff for the execution of in-phone surveys and RCTs. She/he will support rigorous analysis of both primary and secondary data. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to join a team of leading economists and public policy experts from Yale University, University of Colorado and Inclusion Economics India Centre to work on cutting-edge development research and gain first-hand experience working with policy partners, implementing surveys and field experiments, and conducting rigorous data analysis.
- Oversee the day-to-day implementation of data collection via telephonic surveys (scoping, surveying, project implementation) – including the management of field personnel, procurement, and reporting for the project.
- Checking field staff attendance every month and ensuring that payments have been made according to days worked.
- Organizing the logistics and operations of in-phone surveys (both qualitative and quantitative).
- Assisting with setting up data quality checks including spot checks, back checks and scrutiny.
- Assist in the testing of survey instruments, including the procurement of supplies; development and oversight of field and quality control protocols; recruitment, training, and leading of field staff.
- Provide appropriate inputs for project management (budgets, etc.) for IEIC and for program monitoring.
- Manage day-to-day relationships with district and lower-level government officials (block and panchayat level) and other potential partners as requested.
- Ensuring the field teams are provided with sufficient and necessary supplies.
- Maintaining accurate records of the administrative field-related matters like car logs, inventory and project related gadgets and equipment.
- Other duties, as required.
- Bachelor’s candidates with at least 1 years of experience in data-collection experience, preferably in economics or a related field.
- Excellent oral and written English and Hindi communication skills and proficiency in Survey CTO and Microsoft Office suite
- Mature, self-directed individual with ability to balance multiple tasks and prioritize effectively to meet deadlines in a fast-paced working environment
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please fill out our Screening Questionnaire; you will be asked to upload a single PDF containing your CV, cover letter, and academic transcripts. Label your file “Last name, First name – Research Consultant”.
To view other open positions, visit the Inclusion Economics Opportunities page.